Stove Fire Shuts Kitchen at Brownsville Market

0
1226
CVFD firemen attempt to ventilate Brownsville Market after a fire in a stove filled it with smoke.

Fried chicken lovers are lamenting a fire at Brownsville Market at about 9 a.m. Oct. 10 that has shut down the kitchen indefinitely. The store is open and selling gas, but not food.

A short in a stove appears to be the cause. Store owners Chris and Anne Suh were cooking at the time.

“We saw sparks shoot out from the stove and we cut it off,” Anne related. “But the back of the stove was burning. Chris tried to contain it with the fire extinguisher. I called 911.”

Crozet Volunteer Fired Department Chief Preston Gentry said, “There’s a lot of smoke in there. He’s going to need his insurance company. Smoke contaminates food. It will have to be thrown away. The health department will be specific about it.”

No equipment adjacent to the shorted-out stove was harmed.

“We need a new stove and we’ll close the kitchen for today, but we’ll cook somehow,” said Chris Suh.

 

CVFD firemen attempt to ventilate Brownsville Market after a fire in a stove filled it with smoke.