By Christina Shoup
With the holidays behind us it’s time to think about our New Year’s resolutions. This year, instead of the usual personal goals that are set and forgotten about within the month (speaking from personal experience), how about gearing your resolutions toward your home this year. Here are a few ideas.
1. Reduce clutter: Clear out cabinets, drawers, closets. Throw away anything broken. Get rid of old bills, newspapers, magazines and any paper waste that is piling up around the house. (Note: It is only necessary to hold onto utility bills and pay-stubs for one year (three if you are claiming them in self-employment taxes). Keep tax forms for three to six years.)
2. Reduce your carbon footprint: By taking a few easy steps you can help the environment and your wallet. Like Mom always said, “turn off lights when you leave a room.” Dry clothes outside. Change your lightblubs to fluorescent.
3. Compost: Your garden will thank you!
4. Organize how you clean: Put all your cleaning essentials—products, sponges, rags, etc.—in a carry all tub so you have everything you need. Clean room by room to save time. Involve the whole family, giving each person his or her own task.
5. Entertain more: Now that your house is clean and organized, have your friends and family over to enjoy it.
Happy New Year!