By Janet Martin
In May, The Green Olive Tree thrift store celebrated 40 years of operation. For all but 13 months of this time, we’ve operated with a totally volunteer staff. More than $1,000,000 (you read that right, one million dollars) and other needed items have been distributed to help those in the community, non-profits and ministries overseas. We donate what we cannot use to other groups and recently began donating to the Belmont Baptist Church Clothing Closet in Charlottesville. We praise God for all we have done and continue to be able to do. Appreciative customers scroll notes on paper that decorate the dressing room. Thank you, Crozet, for supporting our efforts for so many years. We couldn’t do it without you and appreciate your generosity.
Despite our success, we do have needs. Our biggest need is for additional volunteers. Many who help now are in their ’70s and five are in their ’80s! There are two days when we have men who help with the work and lifting. If you can give us some time or muscle, we would be very grateful.
The second need is more of a dream, but we’d love a larger space. Instead of fellowshipping in the crowded aisles, what a gift it would be to have an area where people could sit and chat over a cup of coffee or tea! If we had more space, we could also accommodate furniture.
Things to remember:
- Only clean clothing and house wares
- No mattresses, computers, TV’s, or furniture. (We have to pay for their disposal at the landfill.)
Times to look forward to:
- Saturday, December 14th. A time is being set aside for children and men to shop from 9 to 10:30 a.m. Items will be half-off and gift wrapping will be provided. Children need to be accompanied by an adult.
- Bag sale every third full week of each month and on alternating days the other weeks.
- We will be open Christmas Eve from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- We will be closed Christmas day and the day after, Dec. 25 and 26.
Merry Christmas to all!